--===============1018837045==

------=_Part_4499_17721357.1208528707192

Thanks, Thomas. Our code (subagent) is 7860 lines long, so I think it would
be better going in the other direction - to post me a working subagent, with
config files, no matter how simple, because our problem is lack of
communication. The critical stuff is in the 6th email of this thread (Apr 16
10:35 according to my emailer, starting "I'm following Magnus's advice...");
both two snmpd.conf tries and results, and the key snippet of code in the
subagent that ought to be looping on the communication, and really did
communicate in 5.2.1. It follows old advice on setting up subagents - I
suspect the problem is some new feature of the configuration that we are
omitting. There is one interesting comment that the subagent would look for
a "test.conf" configuration file, but we have never used one and I haven't
got a clue how to set one up. So a working sample would be a real help.

It sounds to me like the embedded perl would clash with the idea of a
subagent, which as I understand it is a separate process communicating via a
socket (only). Am I on the right track here?

I'll give "make test" a shot and see what it does.

Larry

On 4/17/08, Thomas Anders <thomas.anders@blue-cable.de> wrote:
Larry Dickson schrieb:
> Going on, I discovered man/snmpd.examples.5 suggested putting single
> quotes (?) around do *.pl in the "perl do" line, and doing that made

> Bareword go away, but still does not seem to do anything (like loading a
> subagent where ps ax can see it).

The "perl" directive is for enabling *embedded* Perl support, so you
won't ever see a separate process in the process list.

> If anyone knows of a subagent that works in 5.4.1 it might help.

snmptrapd runs as an AgentX subagent of snmpd if the latter is
configured as an AgentX master agent.

Also "make test" performs a few AgentX tests that work fine for me (and

most other people) with 5.4.1 on a lot of systems.

Could you post your Perl code?

+Thomas

------=_Part_4499_17721357.1208528707192--

Use priority code J8TL2D2.