Thanks, Dave, I had missed that option.

I now have:

> snmpgetnext -v 3 -n "" -u user1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A sessame1 -x DES

-X sessame1 localhost sysUpTime
Snmpgetnxt: Unsupported security level (Sub-id not found: (top) ->
sysUpTime)

The user2 with -l authNoPriv is working fine for sysUpTime, so do I need
to somehow configure security levels for the data (as well as for the
users?)

I should say I am using the windows precompiled executables from
net-snmp-5.4.1-ssl-3.win32.exe

snmpd.conf is:

createUser user1 MD5 sessame1 DES sessame1
createUser user2 SHA sessame2
rwuser user1 priv
rwuser user2 auth
rwcommunity public