--===============0219880646==

------=_Part_7723_28029747.1208373820445

/etc/edgeware-subagent.pl IS the subagent. I think the "perl do" thing was
an attempt to trigger the starting of the subagent from within the running
of the agent via the the snmpd.conf file; but now we trigger snmpd and
edgeware-subagent.pl in sequence, each explicitly in the Linux startup
script. The latter worked for net-snmp 5.2.1 ; I'm not sure the "perl do"
ever worked (it was before my time). I tried it again using underscore in
place of dash, and it still said Bareword and did not start the subagent
(according to ps ax). Starting the subagent by hand gave same results as
before.

Where is the code by which the agent is supposed to learn about the
subagent's subtree? All I see is "$agent->register" called by the subagent.
It seems to relate to "sub new" in perl/agent/agent.pm but I can't trace it
any farther; somewhere in the codebase surely it must trigger a
communication, presumably across the socket "master", to tell the agent it
exists?

Larry

On 4/16/08, Dave Shield <.T.Shield@liverpool.ac.uk">D.T.Shield@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
On 16/04/2008, Larry Dickson <ldickson@cuttedge.com> wrote:

>           the next three are after I took out the "perl
> do" line, which I do not understand the need of

What is in this file?
It certainly sounds as if it might be relevant to subagent processing?

Try renaming the file to be /etc/edgeware_subagent.pl
(and tweak the snmpd.conf file accordingly).
That should keep the perl interpreter happy.

> There is nowhere any hint that the agent has learned about our subtree

> (22782), even though we call "my $regoid = new
> NetSNMP::OID('.1.3.6.1.4.1.22782')" and later register the subagent.

Try running the (master) agent with '-Dagentx'
What does that display?

Dave

------=_Part_7723_28029747.1208373820445--

Use priority code J8TL2D2.