From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Dave
Shield
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:09 PM
To: Josh Bers
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: sending V3 traps with trapsess

On 02/04/2008, Josh Bers wrote:
> I am seeing strange behavior when configuring snmpd to send traps using
> trapsess command in the snmpd.conf file.
>
> When I don't specify an engineID explicitly it attempts to do discovery

even
> though I am not asking for INFORMS!

> I am using version 5.1.2. Does anyone know if this has been fixed
> on later versions?

I've just tried this with both the current development code,
and the 5.2.x line. In both cases, the agent sends the trap
immediately, with no engine probe.

I don't have a 5.1.x version immediately accessible, but I
seem to remember something being added a while back to
delay the engine probe for an SNMPv3 session until it
was actually needed. So I suspect that this problem has
indeed been fixed in later releases.

Please note that the 5.1.x line was closed down about two
years ago. We would *strongly* recommend that you
upgrade to a more recent version.

Dave