From: dave.shield@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: 31 March 2008 14:33
To: Glen Bremner-Stokes
Cc: net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Process monitoring - Linux and Tru64

On 28/03/2008, Glen Bremner-Stokes
wrote:
> I can see (as per some previous list mails) that process monitoring
> uses pr_fname (16 bytes) as per the nix documentation

How the agent retrieves information about running processes depends on
the precise O/S you are using.
Checking the code, the 'pr_fname' field only appears to be used on
Solaris kit (reading this from /proc/{pid}/psinfo). Other systems use
a choice of ioctl calls (BSDi), the 'getprocs()' API (AIX),
/proc/{pid}/cmdline or /proc/{pid}/status (Linux), nlist (Ultrix), KVM
(alternative on Solaris), or by parsing the output of 'ps' (everything
else).

You may need to do a bit of poking about to check with block of
code is active on your particular kit. See the (various) routines
'sh_count_procs()' in the file mibgroup/ucd-snmp/proc.c

Dave