--===============1994904091==

Hi,

   Recently I started using the net-snmp library, and I've run into an
assert error:

netsnmp_assert index == tmp failed if-mib/data_access/interface.c:469

After looking around on the bug tracker and patch db, I found that this problem has been reported a number of times:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1238981&group_id=12694&a tid=112694
-- "In certain situations the Linux kernel will give the same interface a different index number. The agent curently tries to correlated index to interface name, thus the above assertion.
To reproduce, pick an interface and figure out what kernel module it uses. Then : ifdown ethX; rmmod modX; modprobe modX; ifup ethX "

And there has been a patch:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1513191&group_id=12694&a tid=312694
-- "This patch fixes bug #1238981 for me. If a new device will be added, the old device are first checked. If there's an old device with the same name is found, the old device is removed from the list. This fixes the problem that i have tons of ppp0 interfaces in the snmpd ifTable."

Is there a reason why this patch wasn't accepted? There's a link in the patch entry to an apparently administrator-only mailing list, but I can't get access to it. I'd like to know if there are more details, like does the patch work/destabilize snmpd?

Thanks,
Lloyd Atkinson