MIB name not displayed - SNMP

This is a discussion on MIB name not displayed - SNMP ; Hello, I have added a subtree to existing mib.bin using mibcc.exe (MIB compiler). I added my node under mib-2. Starting point of my node is 93 (i have taken this number randomly). Now I can access my node using existing ...

  1. MIB name not displayed

    Hello,

    I have added a subtree to existing mib.bin using mibcc.exe (MIB
    compiler). I added my node under mib-2. Starting point of my node is
    93 (i have taken this number randomly). Now I can access my node using
    existing SNMP/MIB browsing tools available in the market but all these
    tools show only numbers of the OID e.g.

    it should resolve the name as .myNode.myNodeName.0 but it just
    displays .93.1.0 whereas the value returned is correct.

    Why it is not able to resolve the name? (I have specified the name
    in .MIB while adding it to mib.bin though)

    Regards,
    MSM

  2. Re: MIB name not displayed

    Hi,

    You need to compile/make known your MIB specification
    into/to the browser tool too. SNMP does not send MIB
    specification information on the wire. So you need
    it on the request originator (manager) too.

    BTW, registering any object under mib-2 is reserved to
    the IETF. You should not do that - not even for testing!

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    MSM wrote:
    > I have added a subtree to existing mib.bin using mibcc.exe (MIB
    > compiler). I added my node under mib-2. Starting point of my node is
    > 93 (i have taken this number randomly). Now I can access my node using
    > existing SNMP/MIB browsing tools available in the market but all these
    > tools show only numbers of the OID e.g.
    >
    > it should resolve the name as .myNode.myNodeName.0 but it just
    > displays .93.1.0 whereas the value returned is correct.
    >
    > Why it is not able to resolve the name? (I have specified the name
    > in .MIB while adding it to mib.bin though)
    >
    > Regards,
    > MSM

  3. Re: MIB name not displayed

    Hi,

    Thanks for the response. Would it be fine if I add it under
    enterprises???

    Regards,
    MSM

  4. Re: MIB name not displayed

    MSM wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the response. Would it be fine if I add it under
    > enterprises???

    If so you should first obtain an enterprise number from the IANA,
    unless you already have one.
    If you're working for a company then your company might already
    have an enterprise number.
    In that case you should contact the person within your company
    which is in charge of maintaining your company's branch.

    See "Enterprise Numbers" here:
    http://www.iana.org/protocols/

    -- daniel
    http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc

    > Regards,
    > MSM

  5. Re: MIB name not displayed

    Hi,

    One more question :-)
    If I want to add a sub-agent to 64-bit OS..... do I need to have 64-
    bit dll??? When I run my sub-agent on 64-bit machine, it says, either
    ther agent is missing or mis-configured

    Regards,
    MSM

+ Reply to Thread