Tracking Protocol Via SNMP? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Tracking Protocol Via SNMP? - SNMP ; I am working with Cisco 3560's, and I am trying to determine if there is a way to track the data rate or data volume of a particular protocol (e.g. HTTP, FTP) via SNMP. Can anyone provide any insight on ...

  1. Tracking Protocol Via SNMP?

    I am working with Cisco 3560's, and I am trying to determine if there
    is a way to track the data rate or data volume of a particular
    protocol (e.g. HTTP, FTP) via SNMP. Can anyone provide any insight on
    how this might be accomplished using SNMP, if possible at all? I would
    like to determine a way to do this without just sniffing packets.

  2. Re: Tracking Protocol Via SNMP?

    In article ,
    Whatever I Fear wrote:
    >I am working with Cisco 3560's, and I am trying to determine if there
    >is a way to track the data rate or data volume of a particular
    >protocol (e.g. HTTP, FTP) via SNMP. Can anyone provide any insight on
    >how this might be accomplished using SNMP, if possible at all? I would
    >like to determine a way to do this without just sniffing packets.

    I haven't followed new features for two years, but I know that what
    you are asking was not possible before that.

    The two mechanisms that IOS has for tracking flow information
    are Netflow, and "ip accounting". Neither one permited the stats
    to be queried via SNMP. I seem to recall that "ip accounting" could
    not be controlled via SNMP but that Netflow could be controlled via
    SNMP (but control is not the same thing as exporting stats.)

  3. Re: Tracking Protocol Via SNMP?

    In article <3BxCj.87213$pM4.66842@pd7urf1no>, roberson@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) writes:
    > In article ,
    > Whatever I Fear wrote:
    >>I am working with Cisco 3560's, and I am trying to determine if there
    >>is a way to track the data rate or data volume of a particular
    >>protocol (e.g. HTTP, FTP) via SNMP. Can anyone provide any insight on
    >>how this might be accomplished using SNMP, if possible at all? I would
    >>like to determine a way to do this without just sniffing packets.

    > I haven't followed new features for two years, but I know that what
    > you are asking was not possible before that.

    IP accounting has been pollable from SNMP for at least ten years.

    > The two mechanisms that IOS has for tracking flow information
    > are Netflow, and "ip accounting". Neither one permited the stats
    > to be queried via SNMP.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...tml#ipaaddress

    Also, what about NBAR?

+ Reply to Thread