On 12/03/2008, snmp girl wrote:
> I try snmpTrapAddr udp:hostname:162
> with hostname:
> but It gives me that snmptrapaddr no known as a cmd

I believe that Mike was suggesting this as a configuration
directive, rather than a DOS command.
Personally, I'd tend to specify this on the command
line directly:

snmptrapd -f -Le udp:

But you will still need to create the snmptrapd.conf
file, to set the trap access control stuff.

> ah another question should I create the snmpd.conf file or not

Are you going to be working with the Net-SNMP agent,
or just the trap receiver? snmpd.conf is used with the agent.
snmptrapd.conf is used with the trap receiver.

I would tend to suggest that you concentrate on one at a time.
Get the trap receiver working first, and *then* worry about
the agent.

Net-snmp-users mailing list