Hi Dave,
As you suggested, I have tried to give the path of snmpd.conf in my
run-time environment. The exact command I gave is (snmpd.conf file is
stored under /etc/ at run-time environment):
root:/bin> snmpd -c /etc/snmpd.conf &
58

And the ps command shows that snmpd is running.

root:/bin> ps
PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
1 root 48 S /sbin/init
2 root SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
3 root SW< [events/0]
4 root SW< [khelper]
5 root SW< [kthread]
6 root SW< [kblockd/0]
7 root SW [pdflush]
8 root SW [pdflush]
10 root SW< [aio/0]
9 root SW [kswapd0]
11 root SW [mtdblockd]
22 root SWN [jffs2_gcd_mtd5]
24 root 44 S inetd
33 root 88 S dhcpcd
42 root 204 S /bin/sh
58 root 56 S snmpd -c /etc/snmpd.conf
59 root 52 R ps
root:/bin>

Now from the SNMP server, if I try snmpget and snmpwalk, both are
returning Timeout errors. The actual response from the snmp manager is:

[root@babbage sbin]# snmpget -v 1 -c tst 10.201.179.222
system.sysContact.0
Timeout: No Response from 10.201.179.222.
[root@babbage sbin]# snmpwalk -v 1 -c tst 10.201.179.222 system
Timeout: No Response from 10.201.179.222

10.201.179.222 is the ip-address of my target board.
What could be the problem?

Best regards,
Manu