Traps with non-readable variables - SNMP

This is a discussion on Traps with non-readable variables - SNMP ; Hi all, I have encountered an SNMP agent with this strange behaviour: It sends some enterprise traps with variables x, y, z and their values. When I try to read x, y, z with snmpget or snmpwalk I get an ...

  1. Traps with non-readable variables

    Hi all,

    I have encountered an SNMP agent with this strange behaviour:
    It sends some enterprise traps with variables x, y, z and their values.
    When I try to read x, y, z with snmpget or snmpwalk I get an error.
    I can do snmpget and snmpwalk in other parts of the MIB tree normally.

    Is this "legal" behaviour for an SNMP agent ?

    Thanks in advance for any comments and pointers to documents.

    BR
    Alex

  2. Re: Traps with non-readable variables

    HI,

    This behavior is valid. In SMIv2, one uses the MAX-ACCESS type of
    accessible-for-notify to get such behavior.

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Alex Ieremias wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have encountered an SNMP agent with this strange behaviour:
    > It sends some enterprise traps with variables x, y, z and their values.
    > When I try to read x, y, z with snmpget or snmpwalk I get an error.
    > I can do snmpget and snmpwalk in other parts of the MIB tree normally.
    >
    > Is this "legal" behaviour for an SNMP agent ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any comments and pointers to documents.
    >
    > BR
    > Alex

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins