Some quick help anyone? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Some quick help anyone? - SNMP ; Please explain the SNMP Engine, Command Generator and Notification Originator Application. As I know very little about SNMP, which of the above goes with the piece of equipment I am managing versus the SNMP application I am using to do ...

  1. Some quick help anyone?

    Please explain the SNMP Engine, Command Generator and Notification
    Originator Application.

    As I know very little about SNMP, which of the above goes with the
    piece of equipment I am managing versus the SNMP application I am
    using to do the management with.

    TIA,

    Ray

  2. Re: Some quick help anyone?

    rayj00 wrote:

    > Please explain the SNMP Engine, Command Generator and Notification
    > Originator Application.

    See RFC 3411.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Phone: +49 421 200 3587 Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: Some quick help anyone?

    On Feb 27, 10:24 pm, rayj00 wrote:
    > Please explain the SNMP Engine, Command Generator and Notification
    > Originator Application.
    >
    > As I know very little about SNMP, which of the above goes with the
    > piece of equipment I am managing versus the SNMP application I am
    > using to do the management with.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ray

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snmp

    Eric

  4. Re: Some quick help anyone?

    HI,

    The Wiki page on SNMP really doesn't cover those topics. Also, I really
    believe the Wiki page for SNMP is not that good. It misses by a wide bit
    in identifying and describing the fundamental concepts of SNMP.

    Also, I totally disagree with listing text books or vendor documents in
    the reference section. In fact, I'm going to remove them. I just did.

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 eric.voisard@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 10:24 pm, rayj00 wrote:
    > > Please explain the SNMP Engine, Command Generator and Notification
    > > Originator Application.
    > >
    > > As I know very little about SNMP, which of the above goes with the
    > > piece of equipment I am managing versus the SNMP application I am
    > > using to do the management with.
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Ray

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snmp
    >
    > Eric

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  5. Re: Some quick help anyone?

    dperkins@snmpinfo.com wrote:

    > The Wiki page on SNMP really doesn't cover those topics. Also, I really
    > believe the Wiki page for SNMP is not that good. It misses by a wide bit
    > in identifying and describing the fundamental concepts of SNMP.

    I am studying SNMP to get good ideas on using SNMP or something similar for
    configuration of non-Internet-related devices with a custom tool. Concepts
    of data organization, multiple security levels, managing different product
    versions, and error handling would seem to apply.

    Do you have a recommendation for a good introduction to the fundamental
    concepts?

    --
    Thad

+ Reply to Thread