>>Are you talking about storing the incoming traps, or the messages
>>triggered by these traps?

Is there a diff between trap and trap message?

I am talking about incoming trap in terms of number of characters. As
elucidated by you(as pasting below),

>>The basic structure of an SNMPv1 trap is:
>> version(0) - single integer
>> community - string [1]
>> enterprise - OID (<=128 subidentifiers)
>> agent-address - IP Address (4 octets)
>> generic-trap - single integer (0-6)
>> specific-trap - single integer (0-2^31)
>> timestamp - single integer (0-2^32)

>> Varbinds [2]

>>[1] in principle, the community string can be up to 65565 characters,
>>though > 255 would probably break things elsewhere.
>>Typically <= 32 characters or so.

>>[2] The size of the varbind list is unpredictable - it depends on
>> the trap(s) being received, and hence what varbinds they
>> will contain.

>>We can make some assumptions about the typical size of community
>>string (<=32 chars) and enterprise OID (say 3 levels below the
>>private enterpise #), and that most integers and OID subidentifiers
>>are held as 32-bit values (except for version and generic trap fields
>>where one byte is sufficient).
>> That gives a basic trap size of 1+32+(10*4)+4+1+4+4=86 bytes
>>Plus whatever you wish to allow for a typical varbind list.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

we can only make some sensible assumptions to arrive at an approximate
average trap size, based on which we can decide the size of trap log
file for a particular number of traps dictated by hardware memory
size.

You reply was extremely helpful! thank you for that. Observing our
traps sizes which range from 90 to 120 characters - we have taken 120
characters as average size for a trap and have decided to log upto
1000 traps.

PS: My apologies for sending the private mail, it was an inadvertent mistake