On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:21:16PM +0200, Isaac Eliassi wrote:
> I am pretty new to the SNMP so my answer is under limitation,
> The definition of the oid is: so there is a
> limitation at it's content so the value can not be done

My copy of types.h says:

#ifndef MAX_SUBID /* temporary - duplicate definition
protection */
#ifndef EIGHTBIT_SUBIDS
typedef u_long oid;
#define MAX_SUBID 0xFFFFFFFF
#else
typedef u_char oid;
#define MAX_SUBID 0xFF
#endif
#endif

EIGHTBIT_SUBIDS is not defined, so the atomic oid type is a u_long.

I would assume, given that there are over 30,000 PEN assignments, that
OIDs composed of u_char wouldn't work well in practice.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy@rant-central.com, and you're not
"A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy."