On 23/01/2008, Mariusz Iwa=F1ski wrote:
> I'm running on:
> Linux version 2.4.31, gcc version 3.3.5
>
> After looking into diskio.c code I think that this is the problem.
> There is no statistics in /proc/partitions and agent is looking for
> them there.
>
> Is it possible to fix this without kernel compilation ???

Ummm... possibly not.
Checking the kernel code, the contents of this interface are
provided by the routine part_show() (in 'drivers/block/genhd.c').

This starts:
seq_puts(s, "major minor #blocks name"
#ifdef CONFIG_BLK_STATS
" rio rmerge rsect ruse wio wmerge "
"wsect wuse running use aveq"
#endif
"\n\n");

and continues in a similar vein.
And from Documentation/Configure.help,

Per partition statistics in /proc/partitions
CONFIG_BLK_STATS
If you say yes here, your kernel will keep statistical information
for every partition. The information includes things as numbers of
read and write accesses, the number of merged requests etc.

This is required for the full functionality of sar(8) and interesting
if you want to do performance tuning, by tweaking the elevator, e.g.

If unsure, say N.

So it looks as if the 2.4.x kernel needs to be built with this option to
provide the neccesary information to support the diskIO table.
If you can find an alternative interface to this data, then it might
be possible to amend the diskIO module code accordingly. But
otherwise, you may need to recompile your kernel.

The bottom line is that we can only report the information that's
available. The Net-SNMP agent isn't magic, and can't conjure
statistics out of thin air!

Dave