--===============0451142934==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C85D77.2BD2F28F

=20

I'm new to SNMP and still newer to Net-SNMP. Not sure whether this is
the right place to ask queries.

=20

My development environment is C/C++ on Solaris 10. Net-SNMP came
installed with the OS, so I didn't compile it, neither am I supposed to
replace the agent/libraries which come with the installation.

=20

[ehsprth@sf240] ~> uname -a

SunOS sf240 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240

[ehsprth@sf240] ~>

[ehsprth@sf240] ~> /usr/sfw/sbin/snmpd -v

=20

NET-SNMP version: 5.0.9

Web: http://www.net-snmp.org/

Email: net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net

=20

[ehsprth@sf240] ~>

=20

=20

I have an assignment which requires me to do the following:

1. Load a user MIB, parse it and then poll for specified objects
periodically (on some customer network elements).

2. Listen to traps defined in the MIB, and act upon them (on some
customer network elements).

3. Fetch the historical alarm list using snmpget/getnext/walk from my
own development machine (Solaris 10) and the customer NE(s).

=20

I'm terribly struck because I don't know where to get started. I
downloaded the source, tried the snmpget.c file and that works. But I
don't know how to progress further.

Most of the text is written assuming that we build the agent from source
and install. My problem is that I'm not supposed to do that. Is there a
resource where things start from Hello-World and also progress further,
so that I'm able to get the above three tasks done? The net-snmp wiki
tutorials don't seem elaborate enough.

=20

Thanks very much.

=20

Regards,

Prasun

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C85D77.2BD2F28F

=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:word" =

charset=3Dus-ascii">

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Hi,>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I’m new to SNMP and still newer to Net-SNMP. =
Not sure
whether this is the right place to ask =
queries.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>My development environment is C/C++ on Solaris 10. =
Net-SNMP
came installed with the OS, so I didn’t compile it, neither am I =
supposed
to replace the agent/libraries which come with the =
installation.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>[ehsprth@s=
f240]
~> uname -a>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>SunOS =
sf240 5.10
Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc =
SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>[ehsprth@s=
f240]
~>>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>[ehsprth@s=
f240]
~> /usr/sfw/sbin/snmpd -v>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>>&nbsp=
;

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>NET-SNMP
version:  5.0.9>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>Web: =
            &=
nbsp;
http://www.net-snmp.org/>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>Email:&nbs=
p;
net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net>>

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>>&nbsp=
;

face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;background:silver'>[ehsprth@s=
f240] ~>
size=3D2 face=3DArial> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I have an assignment which requires me to do the =
following:>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>1. Load a user MIB, parse it and then poll for =
specified
objects periodically (on some customer network =
elements).>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>2. Listen to traps defined in the MIB, and act upon =
them (on
some customer network elements).>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>3. Fetch the historical alarm list using
snmpget/getnext/walk from my own development machine (Solaris 10) and =
the
customer NE(s).>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I’m terribly struck because I don’t know =
where
to get started. I downloaded the source, tried the snmpget.c file and =
that
works. But I don’t know how to progress =
further.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Most of the text is written assuming that we build =
the agent
from source and install. My problem is that I’m not supposed to do =
that.
Is there a resource where things start from Hello-World and also =
progress
further, so that I’m able to get the above three tasks done? The =
net-snmp
wiki tutorials don’t seem elaborate =
enough.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;