I don't have my python refs handy, but I do recall the automatic number conversions giving me some grief. I note that you are taking the returned get value, which appears, from the code you sent, to return a string, and are passing it back to set, declared as an integer. You may want to add 0 to it before doing it, just to ensure that it can be accepted as an integer.

HTH,

Mike