--===============0308336293==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C856B1.4D9061E9

I've implemented the first round of our SNMP agents - we'll be
supporting get's only, along with traps; no set's will be supported for
the first release.

=20

We'll be allowing the user to configure the SNMP security through our UI
(which does NOT use SNMP), so we're hoping to keep it as simple as
possible. I've been testing with what I guess is called "v2" security -
where you have to list IP addresses of clients, put them in groups with
specific access, etc. (I haven't even attempted the "v3" stuff yet). But
management is wondering if we could make it even simpler for the
customer, and step back to "v1", which I guess is nothing more than a
community string and either "read" or "read/write" access.

=20

So my question is, is it "okay" to use the simplest security model (and
the least secure) if you're going to have view only data? Or are most
SNMP customers going to want a more secure model? Again, we aren't ready
to move to the latest and greatest yet (we want to have a better feel
for SNMP in general before we go down that path), so at best it would be
the "v2" stuff.

=20

Thanks!

=20

~ Wendy

------_=_NextPart_001_01C856B1.4D9061E9

=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:word" =

charset=3Dus-ascii">

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I’ve implemented the first round of our SNMP =
agents
– we’ll be supporting get’s only, along with traps; no
set’s will be supported for the first =
release.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>We’ll be allowing the user to configure the =
SNMP
security through our UI (which does NOT use SNMP), so we’re hoping =
keep it as simple as possible. I’ve been testing with what I guess =
is
called “v2” security – where you have to list IP =
addresses of
clients, put them in groups with specific access, etc. (I haven’t =
even
attempted the “v3” stuff yet). But management is wondering =
if we
could make it even simpler for the customer, and step back to =
“v1”,
which I guess is nothing more than a community string and either
“read” or “read/write” =
access.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>So my question is, is it “okay” to use =
the
simplest security model (and the least secure) if you’re going to =
have view
only data? Or are most SNMP customers going to want a more secure model? =
Again,
we aren’t ready to move to the latest and greatest yet (we want to =
have a
better feel for SNMP in general before we go down that path), so at best =
it
would be the “v2” stuff.>>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>>