--===============1627943756==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C83655.DDFA0BA7

Hi Dave,=20

Many thanks for your response. =20

I have one doubt here . suppose noSuchInstance pseudo-values is 10
then it will be set as value for v2 and v3 .

Then how manager will differentiate whether it is exception or value ?

=20

Regards,

Somenath=20

=20

=20

=20

=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:word" =
xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" =

charset=3Dus-ascii">

namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"
name=3D"PersonName"/>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Hi Dave, >>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Many thanks for your response. =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'> I have one doubt  here . suppose  noSuchInstance
pseudo-values is 10 then it will be set as value for v2 and v3 =
..>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Then how  manager  will differentiate whether it is =
exception
or value ? >>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Regards,>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Somenath >>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>   >>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>-----Original Message-----

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>From: dave.shield@googlemail.com =
[mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com]
On

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Behalf Of Dave Shield

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:22 PM

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>To: Somenath =
Pal
(WT01 -
TES-Access Networks)

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Subject: Re: Question regarding SNMP GET response =
PDU

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>On 04/12/2007, somenath.pal@wipro.com
<somenath.pal@wipro.com> wrote:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> I have one basic question regarding SNMPv2 GET response =
PDU.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> Suppose manager has queried for 3 attributes say v1, =
v2, v3,
v4

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> Now suppose the response for the attributes are as =
follows.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>
V1            =
success

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> =
V2
error (No Such instance)

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> =
V3
error (No such instance)

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> =
V4
success

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Not quite.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>The two 'noSuchInstance' cases are actually =
"exceptions"

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>rather than full errors.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> Now in response PDU error index will be set to =
2.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>No.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>With SNMPv2, the error index (and error status) will be set =
to 0.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>The request has succeeded, and will report the two real =
values

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>together with the two noSuchInstance =
pseudo-values.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> So how manager will come

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>> to know that v2 and v3 has error in =
response?

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Because it's not an error - the agent returns =
values

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>(or exception values) for all four =
varbinds.

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>This is one of the most significant improvements on =
SNMPv1,

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>which would have had to report a 'noSuchName' error =
for

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>the second variable.   The manager would not know =
that
there

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>was a problem with V3 as well, without trying another =
request

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>(V1, V3, V4).

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>>Dave

------_=_NextPart_001_01C83655.DDFA0BA7--

from Novell. From the desktop to the data center, Linux is going
mainstream. Let it simplify your IT future.