From: dave.shield@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:12 AM
To: Rajendra, Singh
Cc: net-snmp-users.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Configuring the net-snmp proxy with the same community string

On 09/11/2007, Rajendra, Singh wrote:
> The SNMP proxy is working now but it times out waiting for response
> for some queries . Is it possible to increase the Default time out
> value for the proxied SNMP requests ?

proxy -t 600 [other options] {host} {OID}

> ... is it possible for the net-snmp subagent to respond to both Agentx
> protocol messages and proxied snmp queries ?

I've never actually tried this, but it ought to be possible, yes.
The main issue would be getting the agent to initialise both the AgentX
subagent code, and the main SNMP listening code.

The Net-SNMP agent is currently coded to act as *either* an AgentX subagent,
*or* an SNMP (master) agent - not both.
What you're talking about is essentially acting as both an AgentX subagent
and an SNMP master agent (but without the AgentX master bits). You'll almost
certainly have to fiddle with the initialisation handling to activate both
aspects.
But in principle, there's nothing to prevent this working.

Dave