snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart - SNMP ; Hello, When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I get the message: "Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/ snmpd. If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message ...

  1. snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart

    Hello,

    When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I
    get the message:
    "Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/
    snmpd.

    If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message
    and outgoing traffic is allowed. Has anyone seen this before?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:16:40 -0000, newsgrpacc@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I
    >get the message:
    >"Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/
    >snmpd.
    >
    >If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message
    >and outgoing traffic is allowed. Has anyone seen this before?

    I have no real experience on *nix systems, but it seems to me that the
    environment during boot process is different than that available on
    service restart.
    Might you have any problems with the order of snmpd start and device
    mounting?

    regards,

    Zara

  3. Re: snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart

    On Oct 26, 1:50 am, Zara wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:16:40 -0000, newsgrp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I
    > >get the message:
    > >"Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/
    > >snmpd.

    > >If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message
    > >and outgoing traffic is allowed. Has anyone seen this before?

    > I have no real experience on *nix systems, but it seems to me that the
    > environment during boot process is different than that available on
    > service restart.
    > Might you have any problems with the order of snmpd start and device
    > mounting?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Zara

    Thanks for the reply Zara. I don't know enough about the boot process
    either. I did find that if I had the actual snmpd.conf file in /etc/
    snmp it worked but if I linked it to another location it didn't (until
    I did a service restart). Even a hard link didn't work.

  4. Re: snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart

    On Oct 26, 1:50 am, Zara wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:16:40 -0000, newsgrp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I
    > >get the message:
    > >"Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/
    > >snmpd.

    > >If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message
    > >and outgoing traffic is allowed. Has anyone seen this before?

    > I have no real experience on *nix systems, but it seems to me that the
    > environment during boot process is different than that available on
    > service restart.
    > Might you have any problems with the order of snmpd start and device
    > mounting?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Zara

    Thanks for the reply Zara. I don't know enough about the boot process
    either. I did find that if I had the actual snmpd.conf file in /etc/
    snmp it worked but if I linked it to another location it didn't (until
    I did a service restart). Even a hard link didn't work.

  5. Re: snmpd started from boot acts different than from a service restart

    On Oct 26, 9:28 am, newsgrp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 1:50 am, Zara wrote:
    >

    > > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:16:40 -0000, newsgrp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > >Hello,

    > > >When snmpd is start at boot time it blocks all outgoing responses. I
    > > >get the message:
    > > >"Warning: no access control information configured..." in /var/log/
    > > >snmpd.

    > > >If I then do a service snmpd restart it works fine, no warning message
    > > >and outgoing traffic is allowed. Has anyone seen this before?

    > > I have no real experience on *nix systems, but it seems to me that the
    > > environment during boot process is different than that available on
    > > service restart.
    > > Might you have any problems with the order of snmpd start and device
    > > mounting?

    > > regards,

    > > Zara

    > Thanks for the reply Zara. I don't know enough about the boot process
    > either. I did find that if I had the actual snmpd.conf file in /etc/
    > snmp it worked but if I linked it to another location it didn't (until
    > I did a service restart). Even a hard link didn't work.

    If anyone is interested or someone else ever has this problem, It
    looks like it was a security issue (SE Linux?). I could see errors
    in /var/log/messages related to my agents. Following the advice from
    this thread:
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=157889
    we were able to work through it.

    Though why it acted differently from when restarted is still a
    mystery, probably more issues with permissions.

+ Reply to Thread