Try adding =96Dsum parameter to snmptrapd to get some extra debug informati=
(snmptrapd -f -Le =96Dsum)

I have not managed to get the snmptrap command to work with snmpV3 users but
the snmpinform command did (I think snmpinform is the equivalent to using
snmptrap =96Ci ...)

I notice you have specified an engine id of 0x0102030405 which I expect is
taken from one of the examples, I assume this is the same engine id used by
the trap sink? If not I expect it probably should be.

I have been using one of the SNMP examples, below is information from my
configuration and script files if it helps. Check you have the authuser
entry in your configuration file.

The example I have been using including MIB files can be found here...

A trap handler (/home/myuser/

read host
read ip

while read oid val
if [ "$vars" =3D "" ]
vars=3D"$oid =3D $val"
vars=3D"$vars, $oid =3D $val"
echo trap: $1 $host $ip $vars

Trapd configuration (snmptrapd.conf)

authuser log,execute,net testuser
authCommunity log,execute,net public

trapcommunity public

# the generic traps
traphandle SNMPv2-MIB::coldStart /home/myuser/ cold
traphandle SNMPv2-MIB::warmStart /home/myuser / warm
traphandle IF-MIB::linkDown /home/myuser / down
traphandle IF-MIB::linkUp /home/myuser / up
traphandle SNMPv2-MIB::authenticationFailure /home/myuser / auth
# this one is deprecated
traphandle . /home/support/ egp-neighbor-loss

# enterprise specific traps
traphandle TRAP-TEST-MIB::demo-trap /home/myuser / demo-trap
traphandle NOTIFICATION-TEST-MIB::demo-notif /home/ myuser /

All of the following commands worked for me...

snmptrap -v 1 -c public TRAP-TEST-MIB::demotraps 6 17 "" SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 s "Just here"

snmptrap -v 2c -c public "" NOTIFICATION-TEST-MIB::demo-notif
SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 s "just here"

snmpinform -v 3 -u usera -a MD5 -A mypassword -l authNoPriv
coldStart.0 =

[] On Behalf Of Reza
Sent: 31 July 2007 20:52
Subject: problem in receiving traps in SNMP-V3

Hi All,
I am able to send and receive Trap in V2 mode but in V3 I can send trap but
I am not able to see them using snmptrapd.I can see the packets coming
using=A0 -d switch but not able to see the content of the message.
This is what I am doing.
At the sender :
snmptrap=A0 -e 0x0102030405=A0 -v 3 -u Reza -a MD5=A0 -A 12345678 -l authNo=
Priv=A0 42 coldStart.0
and in reciver runinng=A0 snmptrapd=A0 -Le -f -d
and in=A0 /var/net-snmp/snmptrapd.conf
createUser -e 0x0102030405=A0 Reza=A0 MD5=A0 12345678 DES 9876543210 =

I appreciate it if you could=A0help me out.
Reza=A0 =

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel
and lay it on us. =

This email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>
Net-snmp-users mailing list