further to my earlier request I can add that if I also use a -Ci option
(inform) this is the response I receive...

bash-3.00# snmptrap -v 2c -c public -Ci localhost "" ucdStart sysContact.0
s "Dave"
snmpinform: Timeout (Sub-id not found: (top) -> sysContact)

Presumably this means the sent traps do not appear in NNM because they
don;t actually arrive... so what other tests can I do top try and
ascertain why? (I can telnet to port 162 for example)

cheers

ian