I just built net-snmp-5.4.1.pre3 on NetBSD 3.0. When I walk the UCD
MIB, it hangs snmpd.

In my MIB, are a couple of 'exec' extensions that run a few shell scripts.
When I walk the UCD MIB, I get this:

UCD-SNMP-MIB::extResult.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::extResult.2 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::extResult.3 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::extResult.4 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::extResult.5 = INTEGER: 1
Timeout: No Response from localhost

At this point, snmpd stops responding to all queries and begins munching
all available CPU time. When I ktruss it I see an infinite loop like this:

4980 net-snmpd break(0xbec8000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbec8000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xa0ae000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbed0000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbed0000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xa0b2000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbed8000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbed8000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xa0b6000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbee0000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xbee0000) = 0
4980 net-snmpd break(0xa0ba000) = 0

And it won't die unless I "kill -9" it.

Removing the "exec" entries fixed the problem. The "exec" entries
are a bunch of harmless tests:

exec TestTrue /usr/bin/true
exec TestFalse /usr/bin/false
exec TestEcho /bin/echo hello
exec TestFrog /usr/local/nothere/bin/frog dog
exec TestLs /usr/bin/ls /usr/local/piffle

Any idea how to debug this further?

Note that in my environment, I can't even run "configure" successfully
without applying a bunch of patches from NetBSD's pkgsrc project. But
I've applied the same patches in the past to 5.4 and never seen anything
like this.