On 31/01/07, Dinesh GH wrote:
> rocommunity public
> rwcommunity private

> ./snmpset -v1 -c public localhost system.sysLocation.0 s "right here"

Jiang is correct to suggest that you should use

snmpset -v 1 -c private localhost sysLocation.0 s "right here"

given the snmpd.conf file you're using.

However I would *not* recommend replacing
rocommunity public
with
rwcommunity public

public is too well-known a community string to allow SET support.
In fact, I'd suggest changing "private" to something else.
Think of this as a password - you wouldn't allow the whole world
to log into your machine and change/delete anything they wanted to.
So why open up SNMP in this way?

Security on SNMPv1 is not exactly strong at the best of times, but
that's no reason to remove what little protection you do have!

Dave