From: dave.shield@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 2:38 PM
To: Stephen Yu
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Configure trap port

On 20/11/06, Stephen Yu wrote:
> I just want to confirm the correct way to specify the trap port in
> snmpd.conf in net-snmp 5.1.1 and above.

Is there any particular reason you are working with that version?
It's *extremely* old now (having been released over 2 1/2 years ago),
and the 5.1.x line has now been mothballed.
It's not even the most recent version on that line, since 5.1.4
was released back in March this year. We would *strongly*
encourage you to use 5.1.4 (at the very least). And preferably one of
the more recent releases, on a line that is still being maintained.

The latest release is currently 5.3.1, with 5.4 due imminently.

> We were using ucd-snmp 4.2.6.... [with] trapsess [v1, v2c or v3
> options] ip-addr
>
> Now, we move to net-snmp 5.1.1, the above 'trapsess' line causes the
> traps to be sent to port 161 of the destination

This is a bug, that I'm pretty sure was fixed some time ago.
The current code certainly handles this properly (though it appears
v5.1.4 still suffers from the same problem).

Note that the handling of transport addresses changed significantly with
the v5 code, and use of the 'remote_port' field is no longer
recommended.
Ideally, we would have removed this field altogether, but that would
obviously have broken any existing software that relied on it.

Try upgrading to a newer version (e.g. 5.3.1 or the upcoming 5.4).

Dave