On 24/10/06, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> > Since you say you've tried sending queries from the box itself, that
> > would tend to point the finger at the local firewall settings.

> In my firts e-mail I have sent the firewall settings...
>
> ...do you understand iptables.???.. I'm not anything near understanding
> iptables ??? I only understand that the default policies are all ACCEPT
> and that I can access both httpd and sshd.... this really confuses me ?
> why not snmpd ?

Well, snmpd listens on a different port than httpd or sshd.
So access to one server doesn't necessarily mean access to another.
But your firewall settings do look as if they ought to be OK.

Let's try attacking this from first principles.

Start by shutting down all SNMP-related stuff:
- /etc/init.d/snmpd stop
- ps -ef | grep snmp
(make sure this last doesn't report anything)

Then run the agent manually (not via /etc/init.d/snmpd)
- /usr/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -d -C -c /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

Then try querying the agent

a) What command(s) are you using?
b) What output do you see from these commands?
c) What does the agent display?

Dave