On 06/11/06, Alan Cooper wrote:
> I'm doing a "get_request" for HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSystemDate.0
> (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6.3.1.5.1).

> A snmpwalk indicates I should be getting returned is something like:
> 2006-11-4,18:23:55.8

Not quite.
The snmpwalk command *displays* the value in this format, but
that's not what is passed back from the agent.

> What the get_request is giving me is "0x07d4010705181e00"

That's correct.
hrSystemDate is defined using the syntax DateAndTime,
from SNMPv2-TC. This type is defined as follows:

DateAndTime ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
DISPLAY-HINT "2d-1d-1d,1d:1d:1d.1d,1a1d:1d"
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"A date-time specification.

field octets contents range
----- ------ -------- -----
1 1-2 year* 0..65536
2 3 month 1..12
3 4 day 1..31
4 5 hour 0..23
5 6 minutes 0..59
6 7 seconds 0..60
(use 60 for leap-second)
7 8 deci-seconds 0..9
8 9 direction from UTC '+' / '-'
9 10 hours from UTC* 0..13
10 11 minutes from UTC 0..59

For example, Tuesday May 26, 1992 at 1:30:15 PM EDT would be
displayed as:

1992-5-26,13:30:15.0,-4:0"
SYNTAX OCTET STRING (SIZE (8 | 11))

The actual value is a binary string - 8 (or 11) characters long.
Which is exactly what you're receiving.

The "snmpwalk" command then uses the "Display-Hint" to
print this binary string in a more meaningful manner.
But it's up to the client side to interpret this - the agent just sends
the raw value.

Dave