On 02/11/06, BENAMAR Khalid wrote:

> i try to launch snmptrapd (say in the second message)
> snmptrapd -Lf /home/benamar/tmp/log.log -F "%#02.2h:%#02.2j TRAP%w.%q from
> %A\n" -c /usr/bin/snmptrapd.conf
>
> in the log i have this message
>
> 2007-01-15 18:25:14 NET-SNMP version 5.1.4 Started.
> couldn't open udp:162 -- errno 98 ("Address already in use")

That sounds as if you already have a "snmptrapd" receiver running.
You'd need to shut this down before trying to start a new one.

Try
"ps -ef | grep snmptrapd"

Then "kill {pid}" with the ID of that process.
Make sure that there's nothing reported by "ps" before starting
your new version.

While you're testing, you might find it useful to run

snmptrapd -f -Le -F "....." -c /usr/bin/snmptrapd.conf

which will display any output directly on the terminal.

I'd also advise against putting configuration files such as
"snmptrapd.conf" in a binary directory. Use something like
'/usr/local/share/snmp/snmptrapd.conf' or '/etc/snmptrapd.conf'
instead.

Dave