--0-482826699-1183648418=:80005

Using these configure options:

./configure \
--prefix=$(BUILDROOT)/usr/local \
--srcdir=$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp \
--with-default-snmp-version="3" \
--with-sys-contact="contact" \
--with-sys-location="location" \
--with-logfile="$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp/var/log/snmpd.log" \
--with-persistent-directory="$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp/var/net-snmp" \
--disable-embedded-perl \
--without-perl-modules \
--host=mipsel-uclibc-linux \
--with-cc=$(CC) \
--with-linkcc=$(CC) \
--with-cflags="-x c" \
--with-ldflags="-x none" \
--with-endianness=little;

...... I get a lot of these errors:

../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_ifXTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_mteEventTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_tcpConnectionTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_schedConf'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_mteEvent'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_ip'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_nsModuleTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `shutdown_inetNetToMediaTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_ifTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `shutdown_proxy'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `setPerrorstatus'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_mteEventConf'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_mteObjectsTable'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_hr_partition'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_mteObjectsConf'
../.libs/libnetsnmpmibs.so: undefined reference to `init_nsCache'
etc..
etc..
etc..

Adding the "--disable-shared" option gets rid of these compile errors:

./configure \
--prefix=$(BUILDROOT)/usr/local \
--srcdir=$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp \
--with-default-snmp-version="3" \
--with-sys-contact="contact" \
--with-sys-location="location" \
--with-logfile="$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp/var/log/snmpd.log" \
--with-persistent-directory="$(BUILDROOT)/netsnmp/var/net-snmp" \
--disable-embedded-perl \
--disable-shared \
--without-perl-modules \
--host=mipsel-uclibc-linux \
--with-cc=$(CC) \
--with-linkcc=$(CC) \
--with-cflags="-x c" \
--with-ldflags="-x none" \
--with-endianness=little;

I just wanted to know a bit more about those commands to try to understand
why whether the errors going away is just a side-effect or whether I
should be using the "--disable-shared" option permanently.

As it stands now, I have to keep usiong the option so I can finally get
a clean compile. I just do not know whether this is correct or not.

Wes Hardaker wrote:
If you don't understand it, then I wouldn't attempt to use them. The
build system tries to do the right thing on your system. Unless that's
broken or you want an element of the feature, I wouldn't touch the
flags. Since you don't understand static/dynamic libraries then I
wouldn't worry about it.
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.