NH> Currently I am not using any of these options and I am
NH> wondering whether I should be using them. I understand
NH> one option nidicated to "build shared libraries" and the
NH> other indicates "build statis libraries", but I do not
NH> understand what this really means.

If you don't understand it, then I wouldn't attempt to use them. The
build system tries to do the right thing on your system. Unless that's
broken or you want an element of the feature, I wouldn't touch the
flags. Since you don't understand static/dynamic libraries then I
wouldn't worry about it.
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.