On 26/06/07, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> BS> One of the Open Solaris mailing lists (sfwnv-discuss) just had a flame
> BS> war about libtool. It appears its use is deprecated for a number of
> BS> reasons I didn't necessarily follow.
>
> Cause it is a pain in the neck to deal with, that's why. It solves a
> lot of problems and creates a bunch more...... libtool helps
> simplify the creation of shared libraries in a platform independent
> way. At the cost of a number of oddities.

How do these two bunches of problems compare?

Are the problems that libtool solves harder or easier than the ones it
introduces? How difficult is it to (portably) create and use shared
libraries? Are there any alternative tools to assist with this, that we
might consider using instead?

Or is libtool the least worst option, and we might as well stick with it?

Dave