--===============0512848404==

--0-510479815-1180708908=:60815

Ok, I know I can change any code I want to fit my needs, however, my concern with expanding the data_context structure of Table1 with fields from Table2 was that I thought performing a "snmpwalk" through Table1 would then display Table2 fields now .... and that would be bad since Table2 fields really do not belong in the Table1 "snmpwalk" output.

Are you saying if I add additional fields to the "Table1" data_context structure, then the "snmpwalk" will somehow only display the Table1 originally defined fields only and "not" display these new fields?

Robert Story wrote:NH> I am also pretty sure I can not expand the data_context structure definition of Table1 to include the data fields defined in Table2, since this is not how the MIB file defined the Tables ...... they are defined to be separate tables.

It's just code, you can do whatever you want! In fact, this is what the
ifTable/ifXTable code does... the ifTable structures have been expanded to
include the data for ifXTable entries. however, those tables have a 1-1
relationship, not a sparse relationship. But if you don't mind wasting the
space in each row with all the fields for each table that augments table 1, you
can simply put all the field definitions in table 1's data structure. If the
fields are mutually exclusive, you could probably even use a union to reduce
wasted space in the data context. Alternatively, you could just have the row
indexes populated during the load, and use the row_prep function to fetch the
row data as needed.

---------------------------------

Robert Story <rstory@freesnmp.com> wrote:
NH> I am also pretty sure I can not expand the data_context structure definition of Table1 to include the data fields defined in Table2, since this is not how the MIB file defined the Tables ...... they are defined to be separate
tables.

It's just code, you can do whatever you want! In fact, this is what the
ifTable/ifXTable code does... the ifTable structures have been expanded to
include the data for ifXTable entries. however, those tables have a 1-1
relationship, not a sparse relationship. But if you don't mind wasting the
space in each row with all the fields for each table that augments table 1, you
can simply put all the field definitions in table 1's data structure. If the
fields are mutually exclusive, you could probably even use a union to reduce
wasted space in the data context. Alternatively, you could just have the row
indexes populated during the load, and use the row_prep function to fetch the
row data as needed.

Ready for the edge of your seat?

--0-510479815-1180708908=:60815--

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/