Hello,
I'm writing a new nms system which will monitor changes in the
network.
the application will scan agents in an IP range and save it in a data
base.

the problem i'm having is when i have to update my data base, i don't
know if the ip address i found while scanning is the same device which
i already have.. because ip addresses can be changed and assigned to a
new device.

so i need to find a way to identify the agent i found..
i thought of reading the MAC address but i can't be sure that every
agent have an ethernet card

please, if anyone can assist i'll be very thankful.
Mas-Tool.