--===============0124333839==

Hi,

On Tue, May 22, 2007 8:03 pm, Dave Shield wrote:
> On 22/05/07, prijks@esgeroth.org wrote:
>> As an alternative, we modified the snmpwalk code to allow an option
>> "start
>> with" option so that the walk will start with a specified OID and
>> continue
>> until the full tree has been traversed.

> What do you mean by "the full tree"?
> Do you mean continue walking until the agent returns 'endOfMibView' ?
> 'Cos that feels overkill for problems (say) walking the ifTable.

No, by full tree I meant the full subtree under the OID specified as the
"traditional" argument to snmpwalk. So perhaps I should have said "full
subtree" instead of "full tree."

In my previous example,

snmpwalk -W foo.x.y.z foo

Would return all OIDs between foo.x.y.z, i.e. walk the remainder of
subtree foo, starting at foo.x.y.z

> A more flexible approach might be to provide an explicit "endWalk" OID
> (which defaults to the next sibling of the starting point).

True, this would be more flexible, though I don't know if we'd ever need
it for our usage. Typically we need to dump an entire subtree under
enterprises, for which this approach suffices.

> Alternatively, have an option to ignore errors (in the same way as we
> currently have an option to ignore non-increasing OIDs).

That would probably work as well, unless the getnext reply with the error
does not include a proper next OID. (Not sure if that's possible or
likely, just thinking out loud.)

> What sort of errors are you seeing, anyway?

We've seen a variety. tooBig and noSuchName (even though it's mandatory
in the MIB) come to mind. I can look through our archives when I'm back
at work if you want more specific examples. I know the best solution is
to get the manufacturer to fix their agent, but it's not an ideal world we
live in.

Pete

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/