On 5/21/07, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> NG> On this subject, do you think it would be possible to decouple the
> NG> net-SNMP core and the python bindings at all? The reason I ask is
> NG> that the preferred python module installation method is to use
> NG> something called "easy_install" which is somewhat similar to CPAN
> NG> with Perl.
>
> The python module is, as you know, bound to the Net-SNMP internal
> library... So you need it on the system to be able to compile and
> install the python module (this binding is what gives such a speed
> improvement; early tests resulted in about a 10x increase over the
> other SNMP python modules).
>
> But, the module itself does not need to be in the source directory of
> net-snmp to build and install (unless I'm wrong, of course).

I am not sure of the actual implementation details myself, I could
research it if you need help. The ideal not technical implementation
would be an egg could install itself automatically against a source
tree. Even better would be if the egg could work independently of the
source code being there.

> If you have a patch you think would help the module either in how it
> works or how it is built, please do submit it to our patch database!!!
>
> http://www.net-snmp.org/patches/
>
> NG> The other weird error issue that I already posted is when I try to get
> NG> a Mac Address by using something like:
>
> NG> var = netsnmp.Varbind('ipNetToMediaPhysAddress')
>
> NG> I get back what appears to be an Octal String and not a Hex String and
> NG> the : is substituted with /
>
> hmm... that does seem odd. Giovanni is probably the best person to
> answer this question, but I suspect he's busy till at least next week.

thanks!