--===============0022615944==

--0-1415301560-1179843766=:46700

I am very new to SNMP. I used "mib2c.mfd.conf" to generate the code for a table
(ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable) which is defined within my MIB text file. I followed
the NetSNMP "MFD:ifTable" tutorial (link below) to learn how to update the MFD
code for my specific MIB table.

http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tut...ble/index.html

I was able to complete the tutorial by successfully executing a "snmpwalk" through the rows of my table. It seemed this tutorial had me create a specialized agent (called ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable) which I could call directly (for testing purposes) to prove whether my table updates worked properly or not. Basically, I never had to start the "snmpd" agent at all during this tutorial.

I would now like to generate code for the remaining tables/scalars located within
my MIB text file and be able to run only "one" main agent to perform GET requests on the data within all these tables. I am assuming running the main NetSnmp agent should occur by executing the "snmpd" command only instead of having to create individual specialized agents for each of the tables/scalars defined in my MIB file (like the tutorial had me do).

Questions:

1) Is it possible to have "one" agent running which can control all the tables defined in my MIB text file whose NetSNMP code was generated using "mib2c" with the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file? If so, how do I execute the agent and get it to understand all of my defined MIBs? Do I add stuff to the "snmpd.conf" file perhaps?

To test my current "ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable" I performed the following steps
(as outlined in the tutorial stated above):

a) make -f ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable_Makefile

b) ./ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable -f -L -DocStbHostAVInterfaceTable -M localhost:1161 &

c) snmpwalk -v1 -c mycommunity_ro localhost:1161 ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable

When I define other tables, I am assuming I would still need to execute the "make" command (a) for all tables I generate, but I am not sure I really want to execut (b) or (c) steps since I want to use "one" agent only.

2) What is the difference between a master agent and AgentX subagent and why do you need AgentX subagents? Maybe provide an example as why subAgents are used?

3) Is the "master agent" considered to be the agent which is started via the "snmpd" command?

4) I used the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file to generate the code, I was wondering whether this code supports SNMPv3. I believe I will eventually need to learn how to incorporate some security settings and wanted to make sure this would be possible before continuing.

5) I am also wondering whether using the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file was the correct choice for me as I move forward in implementing other tables defined in my MIB text file. I originally chose to use this configuration file because I was learning SNMP for the first time and the tutorial required it for me to learn how to insert code. Are there better choices of configuration files which I should be looking into or should I stick with the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file for now. I still consider myself a "dummy" when it comes to SNMP and I am also new to Linux as well, but I wanted to make sure that all the functionailty of SNMP is possible if I use the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file for generating my code. I do nto want to spend all my time learning the code generated by the "mib2c.mfd.conf" configuration file just to learn I should have used another configuration file months in the future.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tutorial-5/toolkit/mfd/if-mib/ifTable/index.html

&

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/