--===============0912657581==

--0-2076423481-1179776078=:15975

Ok, I am a bit excited since I figured out why the agent was timing out on me.

Instead of using the "-c public" option as below:

snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost:1161 ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable

..... I needed to use the correct community name I entered when configuring the agent:

snmpwalk -v1 -c mycommunity_ro localhost:1161 ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable

I am very excited to have reached this point.

Need Help wrote: Yes, of course .....

Trying to learn NetSnmp, I was reading through the following tutorial:

http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tut...mib/index.html

This tutorial relates to the ifTable MIB and explains how to update the code accordingly with the goal of being able to perform an "snmpwalk" request at the end to verify all rows contain the data which has been inserted. There are about 5 or 6 sections to this tutorial, At the end of each section is a link to the next section. The last section, entitled "MFD: ifTable testing" explains how to do the following:

1) make the code
2) start the specialized agent for testing purposes
3) issue a snmpwalk command to verify populated table values.

Anyway, I took this exact approach when writing my own code for my own "ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable" MIB table for the sole reason of trying to see if I could populate the table and perform a "snmpwalk" request.

I have been reading nonstop for about 2 weeks about anything relating to NetSnmp. It is very hard to understand at first, but I believe I can now talk about NetSnmp enough to ask more specific questions when needed.

I would love to perform a "snmpwalk", but can not since the snmpwalk command I entered always times out.

Here are the commands I am entering as it relates to three tutorial steps stated above:

1) make -f ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable_Makefile

2) ./ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable -f -L -DocStbHostAVInterfaceTable -M localhost:1161

3) snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost:1161 ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable

Note: Without the "-c public" option the snmpwalk command was not allowed to be entered. It resulted in the general "usage" error being displayed. Adding the "-c public" option results in the command being accepted, it just times out now, with the following error:

Timeout: No Response from localhost:1161

Thanks for you time in helping me out.

Dave Shield wrote: On 18/05/07, Need Help wrote:
> I have no idea what the -M option does .... I was just following the
> tutorial.

You keep talking about "the tutorial".
It might be useful if you could be a bit more explicit about exactly
which tutorial you are following. There are several different approaches
documented in the project web pages - which specific page are you
working with?

Dave

Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48517/*ht...invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join our Network Research Panel

http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tutorial-5/toolkit/mfd/if-mib/index.html

Dave Shield <D.T.Shield@csc.liv.ac.uk> wrote: class="replbq" style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"> On 18/05/07, Need Help wrote:
> I have no idea what the -M option does .... I was just following the
> tutorial.

You keep talking about "the tutorial".
It might be useful if you could be a bit more explicit about exactly
which tutorial you are following. There are several different approaches
documented in the project web pages - which specific page are you
working with?

Dave

Get your own web address.
This SF.net email is