--===============1032299297==

--0-1401396980-1179759350=:81810

Do you consider a "standard NetSNMP agent" to be the agent which is started when issuing the "snmpd" command and that you consider me to be using a "MIB-specific agent" because I am starting an agent by issuing the specific "ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable" command? If so, then I think me issuing the "ocStbHostAVInterfaceTable" command was simply a "tutorial-specific" recommendation to allow me to test that a snmpwalk request actually works on the data I populated. I always thought I would eventually be starting only one main "snmpd" agent and simply linking all the MIB I required into this agent.

I am trying to figure out whether I am learning/implementnig NetSNMP in the correct manner or not or whether I must restart from scratch.

Need Help wrote: I am not married to the idea of using the MFD approach. It was the one tutorial which tried to give a detailed explanation of how to insert the code required to make it happen.

I have no idea what you mean by recommending I use a "standard Net-SNMP agent". What does this mean? Are there any other tutorials which will explain the other approaches which you refer to? If so, please provide some useful links.

Thanks!

Dave Shield wrote: On 18/05/07, Need Help wrote:
> Trying to learn NetSnmp, I was reading through the following tutorial:
>
> http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tut...mib/index.html
>
> This tutorial relates to the ifTable MIB

Actually, this tutorial really relates to the MfD framework, using the
ifTable as an example. This framework is only one of a number of
possible mechanisms for implementing MIB modules.
The style of code is very different to most of the other approaches
(which I'm personally both more familiar and confortable with), so I
think I'll leave Robert to assist you with this one.

The one thing that I do wonder about is whether this tutorial includes
the VACM modules which are normally responsible for access control.
With a standard agent setup, if the VACM modules aren't present,
then the agent wouldn't respond to any requests.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the MfD way of working to
comment as to whether this is still the case here. But that would
be my immediate suspicion. I'll now hand over to Robert to provide
facts rather than speculation....

Alternatively, you might wish to consider using the standard Net-SNMP
agent, rather than this stripped-down MIB-specific setup.

Dave

Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48517/*ht...invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join our Network Research Panel

Dave Shield <D.T.Shield@csc.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
On 18/05/07, Need Help wrote:
> Trying to learn NetSnmp, I was reading through the following tutorial:
>
> http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/tutorial-5/toolkit/mfd/if-mib/index.html
>
> This tutorial relates to the ifTable MIB

Actually, this tutorial really relates to
the MfD framework, using the
ifTable as an example. This framework is only one of a number of
possible mechanisms for implementing MIB modules.
The style of code is very different to most of the other approaches
(which I'm personally both more familiar and confortable with), so I
think I'll leave Robert to assist you with this one.

The one thing that I do wonder about is whether this tutorial includes
the VACM modules which are normally responsible for access control.
With a standard agent setup, if the VACM modules aren't present,
then the agent wouldn't respond to any requests.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the MfD way of working to
comment as to whether this is still the case here. But that would
be my immediate suspicion. I'll now hand over to Robert to provide
facts rather than speculation....

Alternatively, you might wish to consider using the standard Net-SNMP
agent, rather than this
stripped-down MIB-specific setup.

Dave

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!