On 09/05/07, Passera Pablo-APP015 wrote:
> There are two scenarios, that I am thinking, when the agent can trigger
> a discovery.
>
> 1) When the session is opened.
> 2) When an inform is about to be sent and the session engineID is NULL.
>
> For the first option, to make the discovery asynchronously does not
> seems to be very difficult. The session can still be created and then
> when the report is received the session engineID can be filled.
>
> However, for option 2, the inform should be delegated until the report
> with the engineID is received. Something like the current proxy
> implementation should be used. What do you think?

I agree with Robert - this sounds good.
We look forward to seeing the code that you come up with :-)

> Also, another scenario to consider is, what happened if an inform is
> sent to that session that is waiting for the discovery response? Another
> discovery should be triggered or in someway the session should indicate
> that it is waiting for the discovery response.

Ideally the second, I think.
But I've no idea how straightforward this would be to do.
It's a long time since I looked at the relevant code, and it's
not somthing I ever felt particularly confortable with.
Venturing into the low-level Net-SNMP library code is
not for the faint-hearted!

Dave