--===============0257297889==

------=_Part_119446_26855892.1178737518575

On 5/9/07, G. S. Marzot wrote:

> Noah Gift wrote:
> > Not really, as I was able to compile with lots of warnings, but when I

> went
> > to install the egg the snmp module was linked a non-existance shared

> object
> > (not in path). So this was a python problem, although, I didn't really
> > test
> > the regular snmp stuff to much..I would think someone would have pointed
> > that out by now though....

> hmmm...if you had done a full install of the net-snmp package I think
> ldconfig
> should have been run for you. No package that relies on the net-snmp
> shared lib
> would work in that case. I keep thinking this is not something specific to
> the
> python build...am I still missing something
>
> running the test suite might have shown a prob before install...

That is a good point, I don't remember running the test. I need to compile
it again on a few more VM's so I will report back with Cent OS and Ubuntu
notes.

anyway what are your thoughts on what should be done differently?

It would be super, super, super cool if we could install the python bindings
via "easy_install" from the python cheeseshop without even worrying about
the underlying net-snmp package. You would get a ton of python people using
net-SNMP if eggs were available. At PyCon this year, I went to the egg talk
and it sounds like eggs are very close to being part of the the standard
library.

-G

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/