From: dave.shield@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:28 AM
To: Makavy, Erez (Erez)
Cc: Wes Hardaker; net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Disabling engineID Probe for Informs

On 26/02/07, Makavy, Erez (Erez) wrote:
> It then seems that the only solution for supporting informs in a
> "firewalled" system, is to use a fixed port (or range of ports) as the

> source port for the sent informs,

For a TCP-based transport, this sort of response to an outgoing request
would presumably be recognised as relating to the
original (authorised) request, so would be allowed. I'm presuming
that the problem here arises because SNMP notifications are usually sent
over UDP, and the firewall can't automatically make the connection
between the two packets.

So one possible workaround might be to send the INFORM request over TCP
rather than UDP.

An alternative would be to configure the firewall to accept notification
the notification receiver) rather than the destination (the agent).
That would naturally be a fixed UDP port (typically 162), so it would be
straightforward to configure the firewall accordingly.

Dave