This is a discussion on Net-SNMP extension with Tcl - SNMP ; Hi All My Problem is specifically related to building a snmp manager extension for Tcl using the net-snmp provided apis. I am quite new to net-snmp & do not have much insight in the code so I apologize in advance ...
My Problem is specifically related to building a snmp manager extension for Tcl using the net-snmp provided apis.
I am quite new to net-snmp & do not have much insight in the code so I apologize in advance if this issue has cropped up before in this list.
I am trying to write a Tcl extension module using the common APIs of net-snmp for creating some snmp sessions & operations.
SNMP Sessions contain all the netsnmp_session parameters which can be set or accessed
Operations involve the usual SNMP operations like get, set, getbulk etc.. which operate on the sessions.
Earlier I tried the usual examples provided in the net-snmp wiki pages and successfully created small programs but now when I converted those program to Tcl extensions
I face the following problem which is specific to snmp V3.
the problem is as follows
1) I create two snmp sessions snmp0 & snmp1.
2) I configure snmp0 with version 3 and all the mandatory related parameters like security name, securitylevel, protocol, passwords, peername etc.
3) I also configure snmp1 with version 3 and same parameters except a different peername. ( both peernames are setup and tested with snmpget commands )
4) I have defined a status command which does a get on the sysName MIB and returns the value as a indication of wheather the remote peer is alive or not
5) when i invoke status command with snmp0 i get the response but for snmp1 i get the following error "no such security service available :0 snmp_build, unknown failure "
I am aware that this problem comes if we do not call init_snmp( ) function at the start but, in my Tcl extension I call this function inside my module initialization code ,before I do any netsnmp related operation.
After several reruns I noticed that this happens with all the sessions except for the one which was configured first. i.e in my case it happens with snmp1 since snmp1 was configured ( with version 3 specific data ) after snmp0. If I restart the application and configure snmp1 before snmp0 then snmp0 will have this problem.
After putting init_snmp( ) at several places I get the same result . I even tried adding the init_snmp( ) call to TCL initilaization source and recompiling the TCL binary but by doing that nothing works and for every session I get the same error.
I am sure that this happens due to some initialization problem ( something related to the registering of security services at startup ) but it works fine in a application written in C even with multiple V3 sessions. And the same C code used as Tcl extension does not work.
I would like to know if anyone has faced similar problem or if there can be a workaround to this problem.
thanks in advance
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash
Net-snmp-coders mailing list