On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:40:34PM +0200, Thomas Anders wrote:
> >> Please add "--enable-mfd-rewrites" and report back.

> > I get the same warning:
> >
> > *** MIB Module warning *** mib module 'mibII/ifTable' requires module 'mibII/interfaces' but someone told me to compile without it
> > Agent MIB code: if-mib default_modules => if-mib/ifTable if-mib/ifXTable snmpv3mibs mibII ucd_snmp notification notification-log-mib target agent_mibs agentx disman/event disman/schedule utilities host
> >
> > after a make clean; configure...
> >
> > Nothing changed in the configure output - is that right?

> You should do "make distclean" before changing configure options. Now that
> you've changed them without having done so, starting from scratch (unpack;
> configure) is your safest bet.
>
> Apart from the warning: do you also get the same build error, actually?

make distclean
../configure \
--with-mib-modules="if-mib" \
--enable-mfd-rewrites \
--with-default-snmp-version=3 \
make

ended up with the same configure warning and link error. So now

svn co... Checked out revision 16026.
cd net-snmp/net-snmp
../configure...
SNMP Versions Supported: 1 2c 3
Net-SNMP Version: 5.5.dev
Building for: netbsdelf4
Network transport support: Callback Unix TCP UDP
SNMPv3 Security Modules: usm
*** MIB Module warning *** mib module 'mibII/ifTable' requires module 'mibII/interfaces' but someone told me to compile without it
Agent MIB code: if-mib default_modules => if-mib/ifTable if-mib/ifXTable snmpv3mibs mibII ucd_snmp notification notification-log-mib target agent_mibs agentx disman/event disman/schedule utilities host
Embedded Perl support: disabled
SNMP Perl modules: disabled
SNMP Python modules: disabled
Authentication support: MD5 SHA1
Encryption support: DES AES

and there is no difference between the output of configure now and in
the original message without --enable-mfd-rewrites. [in fact that is OK
as it just sets NETSNMP_ENABLE_MFD_REWRITES, so output wouldn't change?]

and the link error is the same.

Ah - could the underlying cause be:

The following is a list of SNMP MIB tables and object, and their
implementation status for Net-SNMP.
U unix based
L Linux
S Solaris
H HP-UX
B BSD Based
F FreeBSD
O OpenBSD
N NetBSD
X MacOSX
IF-MIB
ifTable (old) U $2 ~3.5 O mibII/interfaces.c
ifTable (new) L 5.2 M if-mib/ifTable/*
ifTable (new) FO 5.4 M if-mib/ifTable/*

So, originally, without --enable-mfd-rewrites, I should have been on the line
ifTable (old) U $2 ~3.5 O mibII/interfaces.c
which as the warning says, requires mibII/interfaces.c, and shouldn't be
worrying about if-mib/ifTable.

With --enable-mfd-rewrites, I should be stuck as there is no "N" for
ifTable (new).

Anyway, this looks more involved.. I'll dig more later..

Patrick