So basically if i understand correctly async is using select with
nonblocking sockets and a large set of file descriptors? I assume you
use that since you stated that net-snmp is not thread-safe. And in
addition you just send a whole bunch of udp sendto's in a event loop?

that's really something i would like to have. basically i want to
write a function that does async snmp and in that same function it
calculates the netblock it needs to snmp to by supplying a net/prefix
as argument.

However, i feel really stupid when looking at the net-snmp library or
even example code. It seems bloody complicated :-). I'm now using a
modified version of the sync demo app to use with snmpv1 (Seems to
work for snmpv2 to?) but as stated before, it sucks up cpu bigtime if
it finds a host who it cannot connect to.

Greets, and thanks,
Alef