Wes Hardaker wrote:

> TA> I strongly object.
>
> I strongly don't think you've looked at what I did.
>
> It doesn't actually break it did it? did you try it?

Tried it and it either breaks or disables perl for me. Here are the details:

/tmp/build$ /path/to/source/configure --with-defaults
[...]
checking if we are in the source tree so we can install perl modules... No
checking For potential embedded perl support... disabled
checking If we can install the perl modules... no
[...]
Embedded perl support: disabled
SNMP Perl modules: disabled

/tmp/build$ /path/to/source/configure --with-defaults --enable-embedded-perl
checking if we are in the source tree so we can install perl modules... No
checking For potential embedded perl support... enabled
checking If we can install the perl modules... no
[...]
Embedded perl support: enabled
SNMP Perl modules: disabled

/tmp/build$ /path/to/source/configure --with-defaults
--enable-embedded-perl --with-perl-modules
checking if we are in the source tree so we can install perl modules...
configure: error: perl modules can not be built outside the source directory

The second output doesn't look right (embedded perl enabled when perl
modules aren't).

> TA> I'm making use of the mentioned symlink tricks ("shadow trees") to
> TA> successfully build outside the source tree *with* perl enabled in
> TA> all of my nightly builds.
>
> That should still work.
>
> All I did was test *configures* notion of where the source tree was
> (IE, top_srcdir). If you're using a symlink tree it shouldn't be a
> problem because you're still calling configure with ./configure

I don't. The only symlink/shadow trees I set up are for the "perl",
"mibs" and "include" subdirectories (python to be added soon?) which has
always worked fine for me until your change. See NSB_DIRLINK_DIRS in
dist/nsb-functions.

+Thomas