Jayson,

there has been a discussion about 32-bit and 64-bit kernels about 3
months ago in the net-snmp-coders list (even if it didn't concern AIX
but instead IRIX I think the same problem applies here too). The
thread's topic was "rfc: handle platform specifics at runtime vs.
compile time?".

You compiled the net-snmp agent at a machine running a 32-bit kernel I
think - at least you tested it there. With 64-bit AIX that apparently
don't work (there is an error message concerning nlist() in the truss
file you posted).

I cannot say whether the current net-snmp code is AIX 64-bit aware such
that compiling it under a 64-bit kernel will do the trick. In general
all calls to nlist() are to be mapped to an equivalent function
(probably nlist64()) for the 64-bit kernel. Note that the decision what
function will be used for inspecting kernel structures is made during
configure and compilation and not when starting the net-snmp agent.

Johannes

Jayson Robinson schrieb:
> All,
>
> Okay our infrastructure has tried running this on a 32 bit aix kernel
> and our package works fine with that. We have not been able to get
> net-snmp 5.3 which is compiled on a 32 bit aix kernel to work on the aix
> 64 bit kernel.
>
> Jayson
>

>> From: "Jayson Robinson"
>> To:
>> net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.ne...ourceforge.net
>>
>> Subject: Net-SNMP 5.3.0.1 on aix 5.2 5.3 and possibly 5.1
>> Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:24:22 -0400
>>
>> Okay all,
>>
>> Another weird one, perhaps someone has seen this. I have compiled
>> Net-SNMP 5.3.0.1 on aix 5.1/5.2 and 5.3 on our test boxes it works
>> just fine. We have it under srcmaster control and am using the
>> following flags: -f udp:16161. When we take it to our packaging teams
>> systems, we're getting nlist errors on at least the aix 5.2 and 5.3
>> boxes. The interesting thing is that if we add the -r flag to the
>> snmpd command line options then everything works fine (except the
>> ifmib) . It's running as root in all cases. I have included both the
>> trace and the truss output for you to take a look at.
>>
>> The command line options to configure:
>> ./configure --with-mib-modules="host disman/event-mib smux
>> ucd-snmp/diskio" --prefix="/opt/net-snmp"
>> --with-persistent-directory="/var/net-snmp"
>> --with-default-snmp-version="2"
>> --with-logfile="/var/net-snmp/snmpd.log" --with-openssl=/usr/local
>> --disable-shared
>>
>> Please let me know if anyone has seen this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jayson
>>
>> __________________________________________________ _______________
>> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
>> FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/g...ave/direct/01/

>> << snmp_trace.out.txt >>

>> << truss_net-snmp52.out.txt >>

> On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how
> to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

Johannes Schmidt-Fischer

InterFace AG phone +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 207
Leipziger Str. 16 fax +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 85
D-82008 Unterhaching mobile +49 (0)171/ 787 76 01
http://www.InterFace-AG.com mailto:jsf@InterFace-AG.de