Index out of Range error from GET/GET-NEXT, but SNMPWALK is fine!? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Index out of Range error from GET/GET-NEXT, but SNMPWALK is fine!? - SNMP ; I have been using mib2c & MIBS For Dummies (MFD) config file to create a dynamically loadable object (.so) which is pulled in from snmpd.conf using dlmod. (This is for the association table part of the SCTP MIB RFC3873). I ...

  1. Index out of Range error from GET/GET-NEXT, but SNMPWALK is fine!?

    I have been using mib2c & MIBS For Dummies (MFD) config file to create
    a dynamically loadable object (.so) which is pulled in from snmpd.conf
    using dlmod. (This is for the association table part of the SCTP MIB
    RFC3873).

    I can walk the walk (snmpwalk) and it returns all of the values;
    however talk the talking (snmpget/snmpgetnext) both fail with "Index
    out of range", *when* the index > 0x7FFF_FFFF.

    i.e. when the MSB is set, snmpget/getnext fail, but snmpwalk passes

    The MIB states clearly that the index is Unsigned32 ( 1 .. 4294967295).

    MIB2C has generated the following type for index:

    typedef struct sctpAssocTable_mib_index_s
    {
    u_long sctpAssocId;
    } sctpAssocTable_mib_index;

    When I run snmpd -f -Dverbose -DsctpAssocTable (i.e turn on debugging),
    I see that get/get-next on an index>0x7FFF_FFFF does not cause any of
    the instrumentation points (printfs) in my code fire. When it is less
    than 0x7FFF_FFFF, I get lots of printf information.

    So, deep in the bowels of the NET-SNMP code, it seems to be rejecting
    my Index.

    This looks like a bug, so before I start grepping the code, has anyone
    seen this before?

    p.s. I am using NET-SNMP 5.3.0.1 on a Dell Linux PC running Redhat
    Enterprise v4.

  2. Re: Index out of Range error from GET/GET-NEXT, but SNMPWALK is fine!?

    Further investigation reveals that it is the client side (snmpget or
    snmpgetnext) that doesn't send the request to the agent (this can be
    proven by dumping [-d] the packets at each side).

    Also, the snmpwalk and snmpbulkwalk commands fail when the first oid
    asked for has an index > 0x7FFF_FFFF.

+ Reply to Thread