Justin> I am working with both Windows and Linux OS. I am interested
Justin> in getting the OS type (like Windows 2000/2003/XP or Redhat 9
Justin> etc. ) of a PC / Server. sysDescr (mib2.system.sysDescr) will
Justin> contain the information whether the managed device is Windows
Justin> or Linux OS. The result of issuing a get command on sysDescr
Justin> will contain Windows 2000 version 5.0 (if Windows 2000) ,
Justin> Windows 2000 version 5.1 (if Windows XP) and Windows 2000
Justin> version 5.2 (if Windows 2003). But I am not sure the above
Justin> said mapping will be followed always.

sysDescr is the right object to look at to figure out the information
you want. I don't know how it's implemented on Windows, but on linux
it gives you the os type (linux) the host name and the kernel version
number.

If you want it to contain something else, you could do manual
configuration using the 'override' directive or something similar.
But if you were going to do that, I'd be tempted to put the
information somewhere else instead (say, even in something like
sysLocation if you're not using it for anything else or even better in
it's own brand-now self-defined mib object).

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.