who do I interface an apple to samba? - SMB

This is a discussion on who do I interface an apple to samba? - SMB ; HI All, I have to put a new Apple desktop on my Samba network next week. (The Samba server currently has 65 Windows clients on it.) Not to ask too stupid a question, but does anyone know of a guide ...

  1. who do I interface an apple to samba?

    HI All,

    I have to put a new Apple desktop on my Samba network
    next week. (The Samba server currently has 65 Windows
    clients on it.)

    Not to ask too stupid a question, but does anyone
    know of a guide or how to that gives me the "directions" on
    how to do this?

    Many thanks,
    -T

  2. Re: who do I interface an apple to samba?

    ToddAndMargo@verizon.net wrote:
    > I have to put a new Apple desktop on my Samba network
    > next week. (The Samba server currently has 65 Windows
    > clients on it.)

    Two ways:
    1) enable SMB on the Mac w/s.
    2) switch on AppleTalk on your server.

    For the Mac's use of SMB: RTFM. I think it is built in, but check.

    Netatalk is the AppleTalk implementation for Linux. The Mac user(s) will get
    a server that looks exactly like another Mac.

    However beware that you get lots of extraneous files that might confuse your
    Windows users. Mac FS files have "resource forks"; this is a linked list
    that is managed by MacOS. All the non-Mac implementations I have seen use a
    separate "hidden" file to hold it. The "data fork" is held in an ordinary
    file. In netatalk there is a hidden directory. So for each file "fred"
    there will be a ".AppleDouble/fred" to contain the resource fork.

    If your Mac user wants some file space away from the Windows ones then there
    will never be a problem. However if they exchange files these AppleDouble
    files can be a pain. Most of the time they can simply be discarded, but
    netatalk will re-make them.

    --
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread